I'm pleased to say I have done just that and submitted a draft Resolution, as copied below, to the GPC and to its website.
The Green Party of Canada, in its most recent federal platform (2015) pledged "to reduce, eliminate, or overcome those factors that harm health or act as barriers to health enhancement, and to promote those factors that enhance the health, well-being, and quality of life of all Canadians."
I am confident that this commitment extends to protecting the mental and emotional health of Canadian children <7 years, who need more protection from violent TV and radio newscasts.
If you are a member of the Green Party of Canada, please go to its website (www.greenparty.ca) --> Convention 2016 --> Resolutions and indicate your support for this resolution. Your comments are welcome, too, of course.
Thanks. Michael Maser, for Choose News
Draft Resolution to Green Party of Canada, Convention 2016
Protecting Children from News Media Violence
- WHEREAS Canadian children <7 years of age experience or 'consume' violent TV and radio newscasts (while parents are otherwise occupied, traveling in a vehicle, etc.), and thereby exposed to some risk of significant harm to their mental and emotional health,
- WHEREAS Article 1.2.2 of the 'Violence Code' created in 1993 by the federal broadcast regulator (CRTC) and the Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) asserts "that young children not be exposed to programming which is unsuitable for them," is evidently being ignored by Canadian TV and radio broadcasters,
- WHEREAS the Violence Code (1993) is in need of significant updating per recent scientific insights into the impact of graphic violence (visual and aural) on the mental and emotional health of young children (<7 years),
- WHEREAS Canadian society has taken steps in recent years to better protect the health of children, e.g. mandating helmet use in contact and recreational sports, working with industry to strengthen regulations guiding access to certain kinds of media products (games) and the internet, etc.,
- WHEREAS other countries (the Netherlands, Austria, the UK) have taken steps to to better protect children from the violent content of TV and radio newscasts,
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Green Party of Canada, which has asserted its commitment to reduce, eliminate or overcome factors that harm health in support of the health and well-being of all Canadians, raise awareness of the of negative health impacts of violent TV and radio newscasts on the health of children <7 years with the CRTC and the Canadian Association of Broadcasters; and, further, urge these parties to uphold principal 1.2.2 of the 'Violence Code' and also to meet and update this code as informed by new scientific information on the influence of violent newscasts on pediatric health.
by Michael Maser; 206 Pratt Rd., Gibsons British Columbia, V0N 1V3; 604-865-0080